October 13, 2003

Sidebar news

I’ve been reordering my sidebar and adding more links, again.

Anyone who visits this site regularly will know that I have more than a passing interest in media bias. I’ve decided to formalize that interest a little by adding a separate “media watch” category to my side bar.

The sites linked cover bias and bad reporting at the BBC and media spin on environmental issues, the Middle East, political correctness and the war on terror.

Apart from Biased BBC, the sites are all new additions to the side bar.

Some of you may be surprised to find me linking to Envirospin Watch considering my previous criticism of one of Philip Stott’s posts. Don’t be, the loudest criticism often comes from one’s strongest supporters; I’ve written before about the lunacy of radical environmentalists and I’m often critical of the free pass that a lot of “green” ideas get in the press. Envirospin Watch is a welcome and long overdue addition to the blogosphere.

Honest Reporting has been up and running since October 2000, scrutinizing the media for examples of ant-Israeli bias and campaigning against slanted reporting. Their links page provides access to other sites covering the same ground, such as MEMRI, IMRA and Palestinian Media Watch, as well as providing links to some pro-Palestinian sites.

Tongue Tied has been “carping about the excesses of clueless crybabies since the turn of the century”. Focusing on the extremes of political correctness, Tongue Tied continues to hunt out stories that display an unthinking adherence to institutionalized ideas about tolerance and diversity.

Watch is affiliated with Winds of Change (which I also link to in my sidebar) and covers media reports about terrorist attacks against America and the wider war on terror. The focus is on exposing “fundamentalism, apologetics, moral equivalence, anti-Americanism and anti-Semitism”.

UPDATE
I'm still messing around with my sidebar. Having separate categories for different links made it look too cluttered to me. So I've re-organized it again (again) and I've de-linked a few of those media watch sites; Biased BBC and Envirospin Watch remain. I've decided to go back to only linking to other bloggers in the sidebar. Otherwise, I think I could get carried away with subcategories and links to all kinds of other sites.
Keep it simple Junior!