October 18, 2003

British blog comp

Via Jeff Jarvis: I learn that the Guardian is having a British blogs competition.

Jeff asks, “Why just British blogs?”

I suppose one justification would be that media interest in British blogging hasn’t kept pace with the increasing number of blogs in the UK. People I talk to over here have either never heard of blogging, or they think of blogs as being an entirely American phenomenon.

I think the Guardian’s blog competition is a fine idea. There are a lot of great British blogs out there (I link to some of them) and they deserve to be brought to a wider audience.

Most of the subjects covered by American bloggers have little relevance for British readers, so I think it’s reasonable for the Guardian to want to focus on British blogs: they’re more likely to address news items and issues that are of interest to people in the UK.

Of course, the competition may not be an entirely British affair. Entry is open to UK residents regardless of nationality. There are a number of non-British bloggers (Americans and others) who meet that requirement.

This blog is eligible but I won’t be entering the competition. It’s not my cup of tea, as they say. Judging by this post at Harry’s Place, it seems my entry wouldn’t be welcome anyway.

Some Brits can get pretty tetchy when they feel an American is treading on their toes.