October 11, 2003

For crying out loud!

I’ve got a lot to post about today: bad memes, broken dreams and blogging America. But do you think I’m going to get a chance to do it?

It’s not chores that are getting in the way. Sure, it’s Saturday so I’m on fajita duty again tonight, and it looks like Mac and I will be going out for a spot of retail therapy this afternoon, but I’ll have chunks of time in between.

What’s likely to keep me from blogging is lack of computer time. It’s a modern problem; I just realized my family needs an IT strategy.

Two computers between the five of us are not enough it seems. On weekends, any time spent in the study is repeatedly interrupted by delegations of boys asking when they can use the computer.

Right now for instance, I have a five year-old at my shoulder as I type.

Spud: Can I use the computer when you’ve finished, Dad?
Me: Why don’t you use the other one?
Spud: It’s too slow, we need to upgrade it.
Me: What, two computers aren’t enough for you?
Spud: (indignantly) Everybody has at least one, Dad.
Me: I'm going to quote you on that.
Spud: Are you planning to get Windows XP then?
Where does he get it from?

See you later, I hope.