October 29, 2003

Eric Schlosser

I was over at Normblog picking up a link for the previous post, when I came across Norm’s take on Eric Schlosser’s Guardian article about anti-Americanism in Britain.

Schlosser has been visiting Britain for almost thirty years.
I can't remember another time when having an American accent provoked as much immediate hostility from Brits of every race, creed, class, and sexual orientation.
I have to agree with him. I can also understand it when he says that, in certain situations, if he could put on a British accent with any skill he would. The traditional defense is pretending to be Canadian; most people over here can’t tell the difference.
Instead, when the anti-Americanisms start coming my way, I patiently explain that I love my country but not my government, that I oppose almost every single thing that George Bush has done since taking office, that he lost the 2000 election by at least half a million votes, etc, etc. Those points usually take the edge off things. And then I try to shift the conversation to Tony Blair. You can blame us for a hell of a lot of things - but not for him.
I often find myself in similar situations, and I will (contrary to State Department advice) loudly and visibly identify myself as an American. I’m not one of those “my country right or wrong” types, but I can’t just sit and listen while some anti-American bigot tirades ill-informed nonsense at me.

I’m not suggesting Schlosser should do the same. I’d just prefer it if he'd pretend to be Canadian instead of playing the same game as the Dixie Chicks.

Because you know what? I didn’t vote for George Bush either, and I can do a British accent. But I don’t think either of those things gives me licence to stand and nod while foreigners mock my country, slander my fellow citizens and demand my humble contrition for America's supposed sins.

It sounds like you’re more timid than I am, Mr Schlosser; that Canadian act should work just fine for you.