November 10, 2003

Focus on crime

It’s been a slow start to the week after a fairly hectic weekend.

I stayed up late Saturday night in the hope of catching the lunar eclipse. Cloud cover kept me from seeing very much at all. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve somehow offended the sky gods, because it looks like clear skies elsewhere allowed a good view of the event.

I didn’t see a lot in the sky Saturday night but I did manage to disturb some local lads who were taking an unhealthy interest in Mac’s car. They didn’t do much damage but this kind of thing is getting monotonous.

Regular readers will know this is the same car that was stolen in October. We’ve only just got it back from the pound.

On the strength of this incident, Jay at A Voyage to Arcturus reckons amateur astronomers should get a discount on their car insurance. I don’t know. I was thinking of getting a big, heavy telescope and keeping it close to hand, just in case it happens again.

I realize I'm open to criticism for choosing a brute-force solution but, for some reason, it appeals to me at the moment.