November 25, 2003

Like father like son

I picked up a copy of The Last Three Minutes at one of the local second-hand bookstores yesterday.

I’m a big fan of popular cosmology and Paul Davies is one of my favorite science writers. But, for some reason, I’ve never gotten round to reading ‘The Last Three Minutes’.

The Big Fella (my eight year old) picked it up after dinner and started to read the first chapter. It opens with a graphic description of what would happen if a comet collided with the Earth.

At bedtime, I thought I’d have a chat with him about it. I felt he might need some fatherly reassurance that death by cometary impact isn't an imminent possibility. It seems not.

Me: “What did you think of that book then?”
BF: “It‘s awesome!”
Me: “You’re not worried about a comet hitting the Earth?”
BF: “No, things like that don’t bother me.”
Me: “Okay, so you don’t worry about things like that. What does bother you?”
BF: “Aliens mostly… and Michael Jackson.”

Me too.