November 24, 2003

Domestic operations

Bought the bird! We pick it up Thursday morning; 15 pounds of free range, traditionally reared, slow grown, British turkey. They need all those adjectives to justify the ticket; it cost $80. Yeah, I know, someone sold me a turkey. I’ve heard it already. To my mind: as long as it tastes good, there’s plenty of it and I can sleep after, it’s worth it.

Bought the oven! We’re going to need one to cook the bird. I was a little heavy handed with the last one; pulled the door clean off. And dropped it. It smashed. Turns out, oven doors are expensive things to replace. So instead, we decided to upgrade and chose the Smeg SE320. In brown. Hey, I got a deal on it, and anyway, “Brown is the new Black”. That’s what he said.

Microwave stays bust. The service center can fix it but they won’t guarantee to have it back to us by Thursday. I was a little heavy handed there too. I must learn to close the door more gently. I must learn to close the door more gently. (I’ll do the other 98 later).

Here’s a tip. Never let a man in your kitchen unless he’s willing to pay for everything he breaks.

Still to get: Cranberry sauce, marshmallows, sweet potatoes, green beans, apples, cream, beer, wine and strong liquor.

And Planes, Trains and Automobiles.