November 26, 2003

Concorde comes home

Concorde just flew overhead on its way home to Filton. I didn’t see it but I didn’t have to strain to hear it. A couple of minutes later I watched the landing on TV.

It’s a big day for Bristol; both Rolls Royce and British Aerospace are based here. I doubt whether there’s anyone in Bristol who doesn’t know someone who worked on the Concorde project.

For Mac, who watched the landing at Filton, the ties are pretty close. Her father (who died some years ago) was a turbine engineer with Rolls Royce his entire working life and was involved in the development of the Olympus 593 engine, four of which power Concorde’s supersonic flight.

Today, hearing Concorde’s Olympian roar for the last time, I was reminded that this evening, over family dinner, we won’t just be talking about Concorde’s final flight, we’ll also be remembering, and honoring, those people who helped make it possible.