November 30, 2003

Thai Green Curry

[A guest post from Mac]

In the interests of accuracy, I’d just like to say that I cooked the Thai Green Turkey this evening. George has allowed me a guest spot to post my (slightly) modified version of the original recipe.

Ingredients
4 fresh green chillies, remove most seeds unless you enjoy having the inside of your mouth stripped off.
Freshly ground black pepper, keep grinding ‘til your bored is my general guideline.
Half a dozen or so spring onions (scallions). Include as much of the green part as possible. Hey, this is green curry paste, you know.
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 bunch coriander
A couple or three fresh basil leaves
2 tsp of lemon rind – beware of including any white pith: it makes for a bitter flavour.
A little salt
2 tsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 tsp of turmeric powder
A few splashes of light soy sauce
An inch of root ginger - chopped
1 tbsp of oil
A little water

And whiz it all up together in the food processor.

Tonight I made a half-quantity of the curry paste, which was plenty for 4 people.

And to use up that turkey mountain: stir-fry about 1lb cooked turkey meat together with some sugar snap peas and some baby sweetcorn. Add the green curry paste and some coconut milk, heat through and serve with boiled rice, topped off with a few shredded basil leaves. Mmm-mm.

By the way, ‘some’, in this context, is a technical term meaning ‘enough, but not too much’. George just can’t get to grips with this essential unit of measurement, which I learnt at my mother’s knee. Sometimes I wonder if it's a gender thing.