November 27, 2003

Talking turkey

The Thanksgiving story

Every year it’s the same. It usually starts the day before Thanksgiving. One of the boys will kick it off but, pretty soon, the whole family’s involved.

“I don’t like cranberry sauce on my turkey.”
“Can’t we have roast potatoes instead of creamed?”
“Do you have to make candied yam?”
“How about a sponge pudding instead of apple pie?”
“And what’s with the beans? I hate green beans!”

I listen patiently to this every year. I’m just waiting for someone to ask the magic question: “Why do we have to eat the same thing every year?” At which point, it’s my fatherly duty to say loudly and definitively, “Because that’s what the Indians brung!”, before launching into the story of The First Thanksgiving.

Same thing this year, except the minute I've finished speaking, my five-year old (mimicking my delivery) adds: “And sadly, very sadly, they didn’t bring any Yorkshire pudding.”

He meant it too!

Happy Thanksgiving.