March 24, 2008

Supra et Ultra

The last black bird has flown the Otero County skies.



The Air Force has retired the last of the F-117A "Stealth Fighters" in service at Holloman Air Force Base. They will be replaced by the new F-22A Raptor. The Nighthawks aren't being scrapped, they've been sent to the boneyard at the Tonopah Test Range in Nevada - they'll be ready if we need them again.

The Lockheed Nighthawk was designed in the late 1970s and first entered service in 1983. It's a reliable and deadly effective airplane, but it was getting old - it's slow and it was wearing out.

During a visit to Holloman in 2000, I was honored to be given a tour of "The Canyon" where the F-117s were kept - each in its own hangar, the Stars and Stripes hung vertically overhead (even had my picture taken with one of them) - it was some sight. I was impressed by the professionalism of the people who worked to maintain them and grateful that they took the time to show me around.

I know a lot of people thought it was an ugly bird; I always thought it was beautiful. It will be missed.