March 26, 2008

Hillary's moment

Mixing Memory (one of my favorite science blogs) is Defending Hillary Clinton From a Memory Researcher's Perspective.

Since it became clear that Clinton's story wasn't accurate, bloggers and the mainstream media have been taking her to task, and understandably so. If you're telling a story that's supposed to demonstrate your experience with dangerous foreign policy situations, and it turns out the story isn't really true, you're going to hear about it. But I think it's unfair to accuse Clinton of lying. Don't get me wrong, I think all politicians lie, and I'm no fan of Clinton (I voted for her opponent in my state's primary), but this appears to be a pretty straightforward failure of memory to me, and I'd bet a lot of money that source monitoring has its dirty little hand in it.
I'll go with that. But it's not really a defense Hillary can effectively deploy in the political arena: "I'm not a liar, I just have memory lapses" doesn't sound good coming from a presidential candidate.