March 24, 2008

Strange days indeed

Damn these meds! I've had insomnia so bad for so many days now that, sitting here at four in the morning, I can't figure out whether I've stayed up too late or woken up too early. Either way, the news just keeps getting stranger.

For example: These observations on the effects of climate change from James "Gaia" Lovelock (via Dave Price at Dean's World).

By 2040, parts of the Sahara desert will have moved into middle Europe. We are talking about Paris. As far north as Berlin. In Britain we will escape because of our oceanic position.
[...]
China will be uninhabitable. So I think the Chinese will go to Africa. They are already there, preparing a new continent - the Chinese industrialists who claim to be out there mining minerals are just there on a pretext of preparing for the big move.

This is not science fiction.
No, it's not science fiction. I'm not sure what you'd call it, but it sounds demented.