April 11, 2008

Whatshername

Well isn't that just typical? I come across someone on the internet who I used to know - what is it, half a lifetime ago? Only to find she stopped blogging about nine months back. Still, looking at her profile, there's some hope she may return:-

I admit it, I'm a sometimes reluctant and often absent recreational blogger. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio and have lived in various northeastern Ohio settings, in Bristol, England and now in Minneapolis, MN (with various smaller stops between). I live with my partner, Raquel (Rocki), our daughter Luca, our housemate Kelly, and our cat, Pazzo. I feel lucky to be part of a pod of people in Minneapolis, many with kids and some without.
Sounds like she's doing okay.

Her voice is certainly as clear as ever: this from Caucawhatsit?
I'm not sure why some folks still use "Caucasian" to describe white folks, other than its what they learned. I've heard some people talk about white people as "Europeans" in a way to distinguish us without using the politicized idea of "white" but, since Europeans in 2007 are dark-skinned, olive-skinned, snow-skinned and so on down the line, that isn't accurate either.

For me, "white" is what we have, however inadequate that is. But then, that's the problem with race. It doesn't exist. There is no real difference between individuals based on skin color, facial features, hair texture, or body type. It's the systems we've created that exist - racism, white supremacy, etc. And to try and talk about us individual bodies impacted by and propping up these systems, we have to use this largely ineffectual language.
You should probably read the whole thing.