April 14, 2008

Home cooking

A while back, Vodkapundit (who at one time used to post a regular Friday recipe) linked to a recipe for fettuccine Alfredo which I thought I'd try at some point.

Six years later: I cooked it recently for the boys and they just lapped it up. I didn't exactly follow the original recipe. I didn't have all the ingredients and I've never had chicken alfredo before, so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be aiming at. All I know is, whatever it is I came up with, it's not fettuccine Alfredo. Still, like I said, it went down pretty well here, and my boys can be picky.

The recipe should serve four.

4 good sized pieces skinned chicken breast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
80g Parmesan cheese
150g cream cheese
1 fl ounce of milk

Mix together the oil, vinegar, garlic, one tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken breasts in the mixture, refrigerate and leave to marinate for a couple of hours.

Combine the remaining Parmesan with the cream cheese and enough milk to make a loose paste. Lay the chicken breasts out on a metal baking tray and coat each one using half the cheese paste. Sprinkle with the paprika and bake uncovered for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180C (350F). Remove from the oven and, using a sharp knife held at an angle, half cut each chicken breast into medium slices, close the slices together and coat with the remaining paste. Return to the oven for 20 minutes or so until the second coat of paste has dried to a golden crust.

Serve with a green vegetable and tagliatelle mixed with a tablespoon or two of natural set yogurt, Parmesan and black pepper.

I'm calling it Crusty Chicken.