September 06, 2003

Dinner and a movie

I was going to post more today but I haven’t been able to access Blogger or visit any Blogspot sites.

Instead, I had a lazy Saturday morning reading the latest issue of Foreign Affairs and then spent the afternoon shopping and cooking. I did chicken fajitas for the boys this evening. It’s their favorite and they’ve been bugging me for days to cook it for them again.

Here’s the recipe I use:

Chicken Fajitas (serves 2, fills four tortillas)

Ingredients
8oz boneless chicken breasts, sliced in thin strips
1 small green pepper, sliced in thin strips
1 small red pepper, sliced in thin strips
1 onion sliced in thin strips
2 tbsps of vegetable oil for cooking

Marinade
juice of one lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large cloves of garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Pour the marinade over the chicken, pepper and onion, mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours

Heat the vegetable oil over a high heat in a large cast iron pan add the chicken, peppers and onions (discard the marinade) and cook for 10-15 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through). Stir frequently to avoid sticking and burning.

Serve with flour tortillas, grated cheese, shredded lettuce and sour cream.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go sit with the family and watch “Forrest Gump” on tv.