August 19, 2008

Insulting friends

A flimsy article on the difficulties of being friends with celebrities by Sathnam Sanghera in today's Times contains a passage that left me scratching my head.

You may have noticed that one of the main ways in which male friends communicate is through the medium of insult. You find someone's weak point - a big bottom, flappy ears, a flappy bottom, big ears - and tease him about it relentlessly.
This may be true of juveniles but I haven't witnessed it much in grown men and it certainly isn't characteristic of any of my friendships.

It beats me why would anyone want to be friends with someone who did that sort of thing, and yet Sanghera seems to think it's normal. I dunno, maybe I'm the odd one out here but I tend to regard such behavior as being indicative of unresolved personal issues.

Or maybe I'm just taking Sanghera's piece more seriously than it deserves.