August 22, 2008

In between

It has not been a good day in the Junior household. I have been mostly in between - in between going in to hospital and not going in to hospital.

Last week, I was led to believe I would be going in as soon as a bed was available. Today, I was informed there are no plans to admit me: I will be treated as an outpatient.

That's fine, except that the uncertainty of it all has had no small impact on the significant others in my life. Questions have arisen. For example: Do I need to arrange childcare? Does Mac need to take time off work? Do I need to put on hold those (admittedly small number of) commitments I have to other people?

All in all, being in between has not been a comfortable experience: I value clarity. Unfortunately, the National Health Service does not seem to hold it in the same high regard.

As I said, it has not been a good day in the Junior household.