June 03, 2008

The gall

After yet another visit to the hospital (gall bladder this time), I now have a timescale for my operation though not a definite date - I've been told four to five weeks. They're going to write me with the date and I've been told I should receive that within ten days. Judging by past experience, they mean ten "working days". So, it will probably take two weeks to come through.

The whole process - from diagnosis to operation - will have taken seven months. In the meantime, I've been in varying degrees of pain, ranging from considerable discomfort to outright bloody agony (I've learnt I need to stay off the fajitas, and all other oily or fatty foods, until I'm sorted). I've had several hospital visits, a couple of emergency admissions and numerous tests, scans and examinations. I must be costing the National Health Service a small fortune.

I'm glad I'm not paying for it.