February 22, 2006

Walk the Line

Mac and I just got back from watching "Walk the Line", a sketchy biopic of Johnny Cash that ends with his on-stage proposal to June Carter.

I have to say, we found it hugely enjoyable but then we're both fans of Cash and Carter. I suspect people who don't like the music might find it a little difficult to connect with - it got pretty wistful in parts.

Joaquin Phoenix puts in a good performance as Cash. He certainly captures something of the man's on-stage mannerisms, but his acting seemed a little stilted, at times. In contrast, Reese Witherspoon's portrayal of June Carter was both a revelation and a joy to watch - she seemed illuminated the whole time she was on screen. It's not just me, Mac said the same.

So, it was a good movie, worth watching for Witherspoon's performance alone. But it's left me itching for a taste of the genuine article - Michael Darlow's 1969 documentary of Cash live in San Quentin made for Granada Television.

I've only seen it once, now I need to see it again.