March 24, 2011

Rainy day news

So, I haven't posted for fifteen months. That's a personal record!

And I'm not in England anymore; I'm in Portland, Oregon. I've been here three weeks and, I have to say, I'm loving it and have no intention of leaving anytime soon.

Of course, they told me it would be wet here, they just didn't tell me how wet. Every time I step out of my hotel I get rained on. Portlanders don't seem at all bothered by it - if you carry an umbrella around here, it's likely you're from out of town.

The other day, I was caught in a huge downpour, got drenched, took refuge in a cafe. I was saturated - so wet I was dripping all over the menu and a small puddle from the runoff was forming under my chair. But, when I mentioned the weather to my waitress, all I got back was: "Ya, it's fairly moist today."

And there was me thinking only the English possessed such mastery of understatement.