March 26, 2006

Whatshisname

(This is the second in an occasional series. The first post can be found here.)

Is it juggling week or something? I've recently seen a lot of links to Chris Bliss' juggling finale and PooterGeek pointed out this parody by champion juggler Jason Garfield. All of which got me wondering: whatever happened to Wack and Zane?

Who? Ok, they weren't nationally famous or anything, just a couple of guys I used to know from way back when - jugglers from the Bristol comedy scene in the '80s, from Viv Stanshall's time at the Old Profanity Showboat.

They used to put on variety reviews there - an eclectic mix of comedy, performance and outright insanity. They even roped me in for one show: I refused point blank to be the compaire but I did agree to do a short set. I was billed as "Tall Slim American Poet" - I kind of liked that.

So, whatever happened to Wack and Zane? I knew that one of them had gone off to become a teacher (not sure if that was Zane or Wack). Yesterday evening, I found the other one - the American one - online.

Last time I saw Gary Parker, he was playing Piers in the first series of Chef!



That was over ten years ago. And it looks like he's still doing ok: he has his own IMDB page and recent writing credits include As if and Totally Frank. He's a talented guy.

Me? I'm still trying to make the transition from performance poet to dramatic actor. Given another twenty years, who knows what might happen!?