May 13, 2005

Manchester buccaneer

BBC News reports that Michael Glazer, owner of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is proceeding with his bid to take control of Manchester United Football Club.

Local fans are not happy. Supporters' associations have been running a "Not for Sale" campaign in an attempt to defeat Glazer's bid for the club, and now they're gutted.
Nick Towle, chairman of fans' pressure group, Shareholders United, claimed he has ripped up his season ticket.

He said: "I am very sad - I still love the club but I refuse to put a penny into the company. And I believe as many as 20,000 fans may also leave Man Utd."
That sounds like wishful thinking to me. But the fans' anger is real enough.

Opposition to Glazer centers around both the structure of the bid (it's highly leveraged and could lead to higher ticket prices), and his future plans for the club (which seem unclear).

I'm not sure what to make of it all, but the Guardian is suggesting that United manager, Alex Ferguson, is "repulsed by the prospect" of working with Glazer and is thinking about resigning.

My ten-year-old says it's all good news. But I think that's because he supports Liverpool.