March 07, 2005

Catching up

I celebrated my forty-fifth birthday last Tuesday.

Mac and I went to see Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion play.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting. I was keen to see them mostly because Sarah Lee is the granddaughter of Woody Guthrie/daughter of Arlo.

It was a good gig - easy listening all the way, a mellow blend of folk and country that had me tapping my feet and thinking of home. We had a real good time.

I got to talk with Sarah Lee briefly after the show. Predictably, I had only one question: "How's your Dad doing?"

Turns out, he's doing fine. Remember the Church from 'Alice's Restaurant'? The one featured in the movie? Well, Arlo bought it and has turned it into an inter-faith community center.

Really, it's got a website and everything. Looks like it's thriving.