December 08, 2003

Football Sunday

Yesterday, I took the boys to see their first live football game. Yes, that’s football not soccer.

We went to see the Bristol Bullets play the Surrey Stingers. The Bullets are the local university team, though I have to say the standard of play isn’t on a par with American college football. Still, they showed plenty of spirit and it’s good to see the game catching on over here.

We only stayed until about halfway through the second quarter (it was too cold for the two younger boys) by which time the Bullets had put 24 unanswered points on the board.

I didn’t see the Stingers make a single first down and their defense was atrocious. If I was the Stinger’s coach, I’d have shot their defensive coordinator. I haven’t followed football since the late eighties but I was doing a pretty good job of reading the Bullet’s plays most of the time.

We didn’t miss much by leaving early, it was a one-sided game throughout. I just spoke with the Bullet’s defensive coordinator on the telephone, the Stingers conceded the game at the end of the third quarter with the score at 56-0.

Go Bullets!