March 20, 2008

Close encounter

Twenty years ago:

Saturday morning after a late night out and I'm lying in bed dozing when there's a knock at the door. Ignore it. No, there it is again, insistent knocking. Dressing hastily, I rush downstairs, open the door and find a middle-aged couple standing on the doorstep smiling at me.

"Have you heard the good news?"

Wow! I'm still half asleep but... Wow! I'm thinking something momentous must have happened if total strangers are knocking on my door to tell me about it. So, I lean out into the street looking for signs of commotion and general rejoicing but there's no one else about.

"No. What's happened?" (I was thinking maybe Thatcher had died or something.)

"Jehovah God is going to rid the world of wickedness; only the Righteous will be saved."

"Oh. Listen," I said "if that's the 'good news', you better come in and have a cup of tea."

And they did, of course, they did.

The next week, they came back with their "supervisor" - I don't think they were trying to convert me, they were just curious. Of course, the head honcho rumbled me straight away: Inquisitive Rationalist - I'd asked too many questions.

I haven't been visited since. I think they must have put some secret mark on my door - a sign for other Witnesses to stay away. Still, I like to think I planted a seed.