March 27, 2008

School crossing

My boys don't complain about having to walk to school each day. But if they ever do, I was planning on telling them how lucky they are - their grandfather and his brother had to ride two-up and bareback for miles to get to and from school (shades of the Four Yorkshiremen, I know).

Now, instead, I think I'd just point them to this story from the BBC:

A South African village is demanding that a bridge be built across a crocodile-infested river to stop children swimming it to get to school. Students as young as seven have been making the crossing for two months since the community's boat was stolen.

"There are about 70 households on that side of the river but there are no buses and no-one owns a car," a Kwazulu-Natal local councillor said. To cross safely would require a 20km (12 miles) detour to get to the school.