March 31, 2006

The dating game

PooterGeek returns today to the subject of British dating rituals - or rather, non-dating rituals, since he’s talking about women who agree to dates and then don’t turn up. He also points out (for those who may not have realized) that his original post on the subject wasn’t a heartfelt plea: “It was cynical, ironic, chippy, mocking, self-mocking. Almost everything I write here is. I wasn’t looking for a date”.

It seems some people thought he was. I wonder if I might have inadvertently encouraged that impression by my attempt at humour in this post. (Yes, I know, it’s not half as funny as the stuff PooterGeek writes. What can I say? I’m doing my best with a bad brain.)

In any case, Damian is making a serious point, and one that (regardless of any misunderstanding) has obviously touched a nerve with a lot of people.