May 13, 2005

Growing pains

Did I tell you Mac's got an allotment? Well she has. And right now, she's also got a bad back. So it looks like I'll be doing the digging this weekend.

I hate digging - there's too much deferred gratification involved for my liking. And besides, my father's generation gave up on farming; I'm free of romantic notions about going back to the land. But Mac's a wizard when it comes to growing stuff, and I'm looking forward to some choice produce this summer.

Unfortunately, most of the top fruit won't produce until next year - we'll have to wait until 2006 for the blackcurrant sorbets. As for the rest of it, there'll be Charlotte and pink fir-apple potatoes this season, purple-sprouting and Romanesque broccoli, Tuscan cabbage, fennel, celeriac, rocket and more broad beans than we'll know what to do with.

But to get all that - this weekend, I have to dig, and deal with compost and worm bins and such like. Isn't nature wonderful!

If you're out and about this weekend, look for me here.



I'll be up on the left somewhere. Feel free to lend a hand.