August 14, 2003

I’m back

Our family week away ended up being a bit more than a week and posting turned out to be nonexistent rather than light.

I didn’t get a chance to go back to the internet cafe in Machynlleth, so I was restricted to using a slow dial-up connection. I can’t believe that I ever used to call anything I did with a dial-up “surfing”; it’s more like wading through mud.

We got back late Monday but I’ve been unable to access the internet until today; some problem with the local server, I think.

I’ve had plenty of other things to do. When I got back I discovered that one of my clients was due in court 2pm Tuesday to answer a civil suit. The problem was they’d dispensed with the services of their lawyers and were relying on me to file a defense. Tuesday morning I helped them prepare a statement and collate some supporting documentation, and we got the papers to court about an hour before the hearing.

Generally, I don’t like working this way. You get to surprise the opposition but you know the judge will give them a short adjournment to read the papers and then postpone the hearing for a couple of weeks. Which is exactly what happened, except we won a partial judgement in our favour and were awarded costs. Not bad, except we’re going to have to go through the whole rigmarole again in two weeks time.

Sometimes, when I look at what lawyers get paid, I think I should charge for this kind of thing, then I remember: I only work for people who can’t afford to pay me.